A. The major categories of the prophetic:
1) God’s gifting given by birth. This may never grow to fulfillment, and may never be used. Alternatively, it may end up being used in a wrong way, e.g. for divination.
2) Manifestation (gift) of the Spirit which is for everyone who is present at a church meeting where the Holy Spirit begins to flow, when the Presence of the Lord descends like a cloud.
3) Ministry given by the Lord Jesus as Head, to equip His Body, which is only for people called for the office of the Prophet, who must also grow to be found approved to be authorized to function in it. The “office of the Prophet” as we call it is a formal position of authority in a local Church or Ministry, for which a person becomes ordained.
B. The “mechanics” of how the prophetic anointing is released:
1) The spirit of prophecy. Rev. 19:10 … the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy [testimony of Jesus = the Presence of His Spirit that manifests through the people].
2) The gift of prophecy. Acts 21:9 Now this man had four virgin daughters who prophesied [they were not prophets, they were just prophesying].
3) The word of the prophet. This is for the prophets who hold a formal office of authority Acts 21:10 And as we stayed many days, a certain prophet named Agabus came down from Judea.